Re: Adjusting Valve Clearance

Kervin,
I don't have the special VW tools and have done this sort of thing on both
my old JH, and my current Techtonics motor with it's solid lifter GTI head.

Tools I used:
Feeler gauge
Dial calipers
Circlip pliers
Calculator
Brain (the hardest tool for ME to find sometimes)

For checking clearances use a bent feeler guage. (The one I have is in
inches and ranges in size from .006" to .250" and is bent at a 45* angle at
the end)
You can probably buy one of these tools at most good auto supply shops, or
specialty tool places.
With the cam in the head and fully tightened down (read: do not remove cam),
turn the cam so that the lobe for the valve you are measuring is pointing
straight up. Slide a feeler gauge between the heel of the cam "and the
adjusting disc atop the cam follower" per Bentley
You will start with smaller sizes like .006" and move up in size until you
feel resistence, this is your gap (do not force it)
Rotate the cam as needed to check all 8 valve clearances.
Write down data for all 8 as you go along so that you know which is which.
Compare these to Bentley's figures as follows:
(Quoted from the Bentley 80-84 R/S/J section 5 page 33)
Hot:
Intake .005" to .012" (0.20mm to 0.30mm)
Exhaust .016" to .020" (0.40mm to 0.50mm)
Cold:
Intake .006" to .010" (0.15mm to 0.25mm)
Exhaust .014" to .018" (0.35mm to 0.45mm)

If your #'s are within these ranges for either a hot, or a cold engine you
are good to go.
If not, the fun begins......

Pull the cam, (be sure to follow the directions in Bentley so as not to
damage the cam).
Pull the adjusting discs off of the cam followers (do not remove the cam
followers) that were out of the above ranges.
This can be done buy a few methods but what has worked for me is to use
circlip pliers to grab the sides through the two cutouts in the cam follower
and gently lift up on one end to break the suction and then remove to a
clean surface.
***DO NOT lose track of what cam follower each one came from.***
On the backside of the adjusting disc will be a number (hopefully) like 3.25
for example which is 3.25mm.
If it is not marked on the back, you will need a pair of calipers to measure
the thickness (about 70% of the ones I've seen were marked so you might
borrow a pair of calipers before you start if you don't have a pair).
You will need to take this # (convert to inches unless you have a feeler
gauge in mm) and the amount you are off from above ranges and either get a
thinner or thicker disc (usually a thicker one).
If your gap is larger than the above #'s you will need to buy a thicker disc
to compensate for the amount you are off, or vice/versa.
You can get these disc from any reputable VW shop or maybe even the dealer.
(I have a stash that I have spent years robbing from VW heads in the local
wrecking yards for free - Cheap-ass Ron would be proud :^D)
When you have the correct discs, reinstall the discs, reinstall the cam
(again follow the tightening sequence in Bentley to avoid damage to the cam)
and once tight, recheck each valve clearance to make sure you are in spec.

Hope that wasn't too damn confusing.
BTW I am not a mechanic...but there are an awful lot of shade-trees around
where I live. :^D

For all you "REAL" mechanics, please correct me if I am mistaken anywhere.

Randy