RE: Adjusting Valve Clearance

<snip Randy>
On the backside of the adjusting disc will be a number (hopefully) like 3.25
for example which is 3.25mm.
If it is not marked on the back, you will need a pair of calipers to measure
the thickness (about 70% of the ones I've seen were marked so you might
borrow a pair of calipers before you start if you don't have a pair).
<end snip>

I'm no pro either and for that matter, don't have to do this on my 'Roc, but
I had to do it on an old Yamaha I had.  I followed the same steps.  The only
thing I would add is do *not* assume that the numbers on the discs represent
the true width of the disc.  Since a 325 is 3.25mm and you're checking
clearance differences in the hundredths of an inch, a slightly worn disc can
put you out of spec.  Use your dial caliper to find out how thick the disk
really is.  You may find out that the 325 disc has worn down into a 320 or
315.  If you find a disc that's worn, use the worn measurement to determine
what size replacement disc you need.

My .02.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v