Cali-Engine Swap, Smog Referee

Craig, your name's been mentioned as the guy to ask about this, and I
figured I'd throw this out to the list to get the best all around info.

What I'd like to know:
1. Best smog referee place in the Bay Area?
2. What do they look for when you put a newer engine in .. what things do I
have to have?
3. What if it's an engine that was pieced together .. say part G60 and part
16V?
4. Can I assume that if I stick with something in the 1.8l range I should be
fairly safe .. not like a VR6 swap for example?

TIA for any info,
Tobias

1988 16V Scirocco - Black
1983  8V Scirocco - Montego Black Metallic - mine tomorrow
Cars gone to new homes:
1987 16V Scirocco - Flash Silver
1986  8V Scirocco - Mars Red
To contact me directly: scirocco16v@imaginehow.com