Re: Cali-Engine Swap, Smog Referee

Joe hit it pretty much right-on, but here's what I went through with my own,
and I passed the referee, which was in Fremont.

You basically have to swap over everything from the newer car that your
motor came from. They verify this with their books based on the engine code.
So whatever block you use, you're going to have to have all the injection,
fuel, smog, and vacuum equipment that belongs with that block. And then you
have to pass what comes out of your tail pipe just as if your car were that
newer car.

It's a little unsettling when you do it, because you'll have 3 guys looking
all over your engine compartment with flashlights and mirrors, so you aren't
going to hide a NOS system or something else in there without them finding
it.

I chatted with the guys for a bit, and they told me that a lot of people
don't pass and it's because they try to use stuff from the original car
mated with stuff from the newer engine. They will only pass you if your car
is basically the same as the car you took the engine transplant from.

Good luck -- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car)
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For the Wife & baby)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)
Northern California, USA