Re: Cali-Engine Swap, Smog Referee

Tobias,

I went and talked to my local smog ref just to see what I can and cant do to
my car (legally).  I found out that pretty much you can swap in whatever
engine you want as long as it is (1) from a newer year car than the one it
is going into, (2) complete, including transmission, fuel injection,
harness, computer, etc,  (3) clean (no elec. tape or exposed wiring).  He
said they are pretty lenient on the transmission part as long as the
computer doesn't give you any error codes about it.

I also looked at the the CARB book with EO numbers for parts that have been
tested and approved for legal installation.  There were actually several old
turbo kits from the late 80s/early 90s that were still in there, like AMS,
and the New Dimensions kits are still there.

HTH
Joe