Re: Potential Large Problem? (Long)

Cheapass here would get a new key and braze it in the
crank (and replace the front crank seal).  Cheaper,
faster, and a LOT easier than replacing the whole
frigging thing.

Thought about JB Weld but that's just TOO cheap.

Ron

--- josh Wyte <josh_wyte@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had the crank keyway break on me in my G60 motor.
> It had been held together by rust till I spun on the
> track, then I noticed the crank pulley hopping all
> around.  Boy was I ever bummed!
>
> Ended up replacing the crank and the pulley.  The
> crank is surprisingly cheap from the dealer.  So
> cheap
> in fact that it wasn't worth picking up a good used
> crank.  The cost would've been equal after you
> cleaned
> out all the oil galleys in the used one...
>
> I'd go ahead and replace the crank.  Might as well
> balance the pistons and rods and rering the pistons
> too...
>
> -josh
>

> --- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > I agree with Chris. Any slop in the keyway in the
> > crank will cause a
> > never ending problem. You'll have to replace the
> > crank or have your
> > current one welded and remachined. Had this same
> > problem in my 79
> > Scirocco and I ended up replacing the crank.
> > Dan
> >

> =====
> Josh Wyte
> Momentum Motorsports
> 508-833-3024 After 5 pm EST

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

"One....two....one...two...three..."
-Lynyrd Skynyrd