RE: what to look for when buying

I'll add to this...if that's all she plans to do with it, I'll guess she
only wants it because it's a "cute convertible."

Steer her in the direction of a Cavalier or Sunbird convertible - and leave
the VWs for someone who will give them a good home.  You don't have to fix
it up to show-quality, or make it fast, or make it handle great, or anything
else like that.  You do have to care enough about it to not run it into the
ground.

I steered my brother in the direction of an '85 GTI.  Unfortunately, he
isn't terribly inclined towards car repair/maintenance.  However, he had the
good sense to sell it to my other brother, and this week, he's going to be
tearing into the injectors to track down some driveability issues.  It's not
the prettiest car in the world, but I'm confident that it's not going to be
driven into the ground as long as he has it.

I know I'm sounding a little preachy, but I hate to see all the VWs
destroyed when there are perfectly shitty American cars available for that
purpose.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco