Re: '88 16v won't start

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:13:58AM -0500, Patrick Bureau wrote:

> >From the symptoms you mentions, driving and then car dies. I would
> tell you to check; fuel pump relay, fuel pump.

How would these cause no spark?

> there was oil in the distributor - and the cap.  I assume that would
> tend to kill the Hall sender, thereby preventing me from starting the
>  car?

The oil really wouldn't do anything to the hall sensor, it's completely
encased in plastic.  If there is enough oil to cover the contacts of
the dist. cap, that could kill the spark, but I'm sure you would have
said if there was that much oil.  Even though the oil probably isn't the
culprit, I suspect that you have a bad hall sensor.  The bentley describes
a test where you put a LED accross 2 of the hall effect sensor leads,
crank the car, and watch for the LED to flash. If the LED does not flash,
the hall effect sensor is not triggering the ignition module. If the LED
does flash, I'd look at the ignition module itself... perhaps the
connector is just loose.

Dan

--
"If life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the
one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."

			- The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
			  (A wholly remarkable book)