'88 16v won't start

Driving home on the freeway, car dies.  80 mph, then it burps, drops 4k to
3k rpms for a moment, then back to 4k, then dead.  I push in on the clutch,
engine dies, so I throw it into neutral, and coast as long as I can (looking
for a better spot to pull over).

Car won't start.  No spark.  Tested the coil, it was slightly out of spec
(according to the Bentley book), so I replaced it.

I initially found a loose distributor cap (WAY loose, only 1 clip was
holding it), figured that was it - replaced it with a new cap 'n rotor -
when I opened up the distributor, there was oil in there.  Not a flood, but
there was oil in the distributor - and the cap.  I assume that would tend to
kill the Hall sender, thereby preventing me from starting the car?

Anyway, that's what I've got it narrowed down to, but I thought I would toss
it out here, perhaps I've missed something.

Help!

-Pat