Re: I got to drive my very first Rocco today (LONG)

Dude!, Take it easy on the old iron maaaaan.  :])

Glad you have a bucket to wrench on, it helps to know the car from the
inside out.

A couple of questions, hints, tips n' tricks.

- When did you change the oil last? Better get some new stuff in there
before you take it out on the road. It's summer, think 20w50. Think
NON-Fram, think Mahle or Mann filter.

- On that tip, plan on replacing ALL the fluids. Phosphate free coolant,
DOT 4 brake fluid, etc, etc. All the fluids.

- When you get a chance, get up under the car and check for torn CV
boots, leaks from the transaxle, etc. If it's been off road and running
over things you owe it a look.

- Old Volkswagons (any car really) will benefit from a renewal of the
electrical contacts. It's a two phase job; the big wires/cables in the
engine bay, and the grounds and connections on the back of the fuse box
inside the cabin. Clean old oxidation off the battery posts and ground
straps and hot wire to the starter/Alt, coat with a light lube of
something t keep the O2 out. In the cabin, if you mess with the fuse box
go one at a time, don't just yank them all out at once. Contact cleaner,
coat those contacts lightly, replug a few times to scrape down to clean
metal.

- Get about three feet of that good braided rubber hose and use it in
pieces to replace all the old stuff where the the hard lines connect to
fittings, vacumm hoses that is.

- Besides the hoses, think about some new o-ring seals for the
injectors. Just replace 'em. Cheap.

Need parts? Got a few duckets?

<http://www.parts4vws.com> Mike
<http://germanautoparts.com> Mark

Good people, will hook you up w/ the Right Stuff, for a decent price
too.

Man, I can go on & on but thats enough for now. Keep up the grades and
don't push the envelope at 1st, let the car come to you. It'll tell you
things if you listen.

TBerk