Re: ABT Upper Stress bar & misc susp. Stuff.

At 10:08 PM 1/30/01 , Mawster Chadwick wrote:

I've got a problem /w the steering/handling on "rippled" roads though.  You know, the roads that have sunken indents where heavy trucks have squished the pavement into ruts?  When changing lanes (at any speed) my scirocco intermittently madly resists turning, or lurches in the intended direction like a Ninnyhammer.  This sort of happens when cruising straight at regular speeds, and steering lightly/changing lanes.  I realize that this would sort of happen with any car, but I've driven a few different cars down the same strip of road and they don't do the funcky noodle all over the place.

--yokohama p195/70r14 guardex 600 winter tires on NEW oem steel rims (heh, the roads have been dry for a month.)

There's your problem right there:  The 195s.  The wider the tire, the more likely the car's going to try to follow ruts.  With my 185/60-14s on Teardrops, I was absolutely fine.  As soon as the 195/50-15s went on, watch out!

Also, the added stiffness of the frame and the lowering of the car both will contribute to it.

You can mess with your alignment to lessen the tendency to wander, but I don't remember what the proper settings for it was -- I just deal with it. :)

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org