Re: On the Subject of Cars that underheat on the road...

On 30 Jan 2001, Patrick Bureau wrote:

> Since we are on the subject of coolant loss and cars teh run under-overheat
> while running.
> My car normally when I am in texas it run about 100'F(as per oil gauge temp,
> readone...) but right now in Canada, no matter what I do... it runs COLD. COLD
> COLD. I mean sitting idling on a corner street warming up with the heater on
> full blaster, the car is nice and toasty and the temp gauge shows right in the
> middle of both (frozen and fuming hot) but as soon as I move around (no matter
> what speed) the temp gague drops like a rock into the barely above frozen mark
> (sorry I dont have realy temp # I only have stock temp gauge) but if I compare
> this to oil temp (somewhat of a reading.. sirring on corner, oil ~100'F,
> driving, 50-70'f) I have a new radiator, the flow seems fine, the water pump
> works, the only thing I have not changed, is the thermostat (got on the other
> day, have not had time to install it..) any other ideas what else to check?

Well for the winter if it is not your thermostat ther is an easy way to
increase the heat retained. put a piece of cardboard infront of the
radiator about 1/2 of it and try it driving around. Your problem sounds
like a stuck wide open thermostat.. the cardboard is a poor mans
thermostat. That is what the cnavas on the fron of the big rigs do in the
winter time.