Re: coolant loss

thanks Brian - in fact I have removed the thermostat from my radiator system so
now there is a constant flow - I am however intending to change the gauge
although finding one in Singapore is another matter.  The radiator is completely
new so does not need de-scaling although I did do that for my previous radiator
(copper too) - the way that is done is to cut open the housing and run some kind
of acid through the webbing. I get the impression that you run at much lower
temperatures - what temperatures does yours normally reach??

This is a dumb suggestion.
Have you checked it you have good water flow?
Simple things to check.
Change your thermostat. (easy and cheap)
try that. a partially stuck thermostat or one that doesnt open all the way
could cause all kinds of problem. with coolant. And yes I have had every
kind of problem dealing w. thermostats possible including getting a new
one that was bad.(stuck shut in summer time in GA 100 deg F) not good made
it about 5 mi then had to take it out on the road while the thing was
still hot.(dodge van)

If that doesnt work try a serious fluid flush. prestone makes kits that
splice into the heater hose, you can get a piece of hose and disconnect
one end and fake splice it in. Hopefully this would clear up any clogged
water jackets.

Water pump could be missing a couple of blades... I've had that problem
too. got hot fast and never got cool.  This calls for an Remove and
replace.

Optionally it could be your gauge or sending unit.

all else fails a replcement for the radiator could be in order...or
possibly a descaling.

Dont know if anyone out there knows how to descale a copper radiator. The
copper radiator is bound to have some scale build-up cant remember if it
would be more than AL but i belive so. Just look at the satute of
Liberty... its green prolly alot like your radiator. (unless its new of
course)
anybody... im an EE not a ChemE so my knowledge of scale buildup is a
little weak...