RE: Vehicle transport, anyone ever do this?

<snip Neal>
If I were to put a ball on that bumper, would it work to tow a car trailer?
The bumper was stamped for 5000lbs, but I always thought you couldn't tow
that much without a frame-mounted hitch...
<end snip>

It all depends on the bumper's connection to the car.  In the case of my '76
Scout, the bumper is integrated into the frame.  I towed an '87 Rx7 on a one
axle trailer for 1000 miles over a couple mountain passes.  That was
probably around 3000 lbs or so.  No problems.  I don't know about the new
trucks though.  Judging from the number of hidden hitches on today's trucks,
the bumpers may not be suitable for towing.  Then again, those hitches may
just be fashion accessories and status symbols.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II