Electrical Reconditioning Was: No headlights, ...

Brad,

Seems like you found out that terminal 30 is 12 volts always ON power,
that 87 is usually the OUT to the device being jumpered (but not always!
sometimes it leads to ground) and you have what you need on order.
(Potterman, Yea!)

I'd like to take this moment to reiterate the benefits gained from
reconditioning your electrical contacts.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance, also it creates heat if
it is hindered on it's way. Premature aging of components can happen if
the contacts and switches slow the transmission of the electrons, either
through poor contact, corrosion, oxidation, etc. Sometimes a marginal
design will work great when new but will not hold up over the life of
the car (and we tend to give 'Life' an extended meaning. :)

A very good thing to invest in (it's cheap) is some kind of electrical
contact treatment, either spray, paste, or liquid form. There are many
different kinds, each doing a somewhat similar job.

- Stabilant-22. This stuff has mythical properties if they are to be
believed. VW's shops have this stuff but not so's you'd know it. You can
apparently get it direct or from a supplier. I have meant to and have
not yet gotten some for myself, but will. <http://home.earthlink.net/~ralaudio/stb.html>

- Electra-Lube, etc. This stuff is a spray (I can find it at Fry's
Electronics, the other Evil Empire) It has both a contact cleaner and a
'leave-behind lube/coating against oxidation' component.

- Dielectric Grease. This stuff is the stuff you get with a good set of
spark plug wires. You rub a thin coat around the sealing surface of the
boot as it grips the plugs/cap towers. It prevents bonding over time so
they come off later, it helps make for a air/water tight seal/ and it
helps seal against stray electrons (High Voltage dontcha know) from
escaping. It is also good for coating cable to chassis and Alt
connections as it keeps the same O2 and H2O out.

- Vaseline. Better than nothing at all. Keep in mind it can degrade
rubber and other petroleum based products, use sparingly, in all cases
these substances work best with a liberal but thin coating. This is a
good deal for battery posts and cables although it tends to run when
things get real hot.

Fundamental Concerns: I can recommend each plug be pulled off the back
of the fuse box (only do one at a time to avoid a mix up) and a good
dose of spray be used. Remove the excess and plug in and out a few times
to scrape the old gunk off. Do each in turn. Also, the tried and true
Ground Cable Reconditioning is perfect for those guys snowed in and
stuck with nothing else to do. :)

Lastly are all those pesky little ground wires- they are usually found
in clusters like under the steering column, in the rear comer panels
behind the pebble finished fiber boards, and on the front support beams
in the engine compartment, near the headlights. All these could use some
cleaning and sealing too.

OK, that's enough Misc Rambling for me,
contact me if you have comments/ questions.

TBerk