From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org [mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On
Behalf Of Brad Sterling
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 7:27 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: No headlights, rear defogger, windshield wipers, and blower fan

Hi all,

        I could use some help here.  I currently have no headlights, rear
defogger,
windshield wipers and blower fan.  Everything was working fine when I parked
the car last Monday, but nothing worked when I came back Thursday.  I
followed Bentley and it seems to indicate the ignition switch (since they
all connect to terminal 15).  I tested the switch and it was fine.  I put
everything back together and they all worked again... until tonight.  It all
went out while driving tonight.  I re-read Bentley and now I'm wondering if
it might be the load reduction relay.  I know it's position 8, but I don't
know how to create a jumper to test if it's the relay.  I thought I'd just
need to connect the 86 and 87 terminals on the fusebox, but that didn't
work.  So here's what I need:

* Any similar experience (tell me it's the relay or the switch)
* Teach me how to properly jumper a 4 prong relay on the fuse panel
* Teach me how to test a relay

TIA.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v