Re: 2H/4K vs. standard 16v trans.

Randy wrote (in MIME 1.0):

Wait a minute.
This is a 16V trans (AGB) that is being replaced with the earlier 83/84
GTI
trans right?
Aren't the the axles/drive flanges going to be different?
If this is the case, either the flanges will need to be changed over to
the
larger ones, or the axles changed over to the smaller ones.
If I am incorrect on this, please forgive me....my 3rd cup of coffee
hasn't
kicked in yet.

Yes, the axle flanges need to be swapped over...

On the 4K, it is a direct swap, keep in mind that new output shaft seals
are required.

To fit 100mm flanges on a 2H, you have to do some clearancing on the
case, just like you do on an FF.

Is it possible to take a taller fifth off another tranny and add it to
the close ratio, without buying the kit?

Yes, that's what I do...
ACN's are great for that, .75 5th gear, FF's are .71.

Techtonics sells the 5th gear adjustment tool, that comes with "the kit".

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84 Scirocco, RD/FF