Suggestions for parts.....

Hello,
I am new to the list and I am new to working on cars. With a friend who is
a mechanic I am doing some work on my 87 16v. I need to replace my front
suspension an figured I might as do it all at once. I'm looking for a good
brand and type of lowering springs and shocks to put on my car. Nothing
extravert but a good product and a reasonable price. I'm not looking to go
cheep but best value for what I'm getting. Any suggestions? Also at this
time my care is not lowered and only has the stock ground effects. Any info
on a what else I should add to make the handling  of the car better would
also be welcome