Re: Fuel lines -why not braided?

On my last few A1 chassis cars (both gas and diesel) I have replaced the
steel lines with the plastic/nylon/whatever lines from the A2 chassis.
They are flexible enough that they can make the curves up to the front of
the car.  I use high pressure (100psi) neoprene to splice at the entry
point into the engine compartment.  On the gas cars I've used double
clamps and small bross bushings inside the line (just like VW uses on
their crimp fittings) to keep the line from distorting when you tighten
the clamps down.

Works great, and if you use stainless clamps, then your lines are pretty
much guaranteed to last for another 10 - 15 years before you have to worry
about them again.

Drew (84 Wolfsburg Edition)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Ron Pieper wrote:

> Re: the fuel lines only,:
>
> Why would it not be possible to replace the steel line
> with rubber lines reinforced with braided stainless?
> Hell, the pressure is only in one of the lines (the
> other is a return), at what 70psi? (about the same as
> a garden hose), rubber+braided steel jacket is easily
> available, easy to work with, very strong, can be
> routed anywhere, cheap, and terminated easily...just a
> thought.
>
> Somebody tell me what's wrong with this idea.
>
> Ron
>

> --- "Blake P. Pelzer" <bppelzer@midway.uchicago.edu>
> wrote:
> > Okay, a month ago I bought my first car, an 87 16v
> > with 60000 miles. I was
> > told that the passenger side e-brake cable was bad,
> > so I took it in and
> > was informed that he didn't want to touch the ebrake
> > unless I wanted all
> > the brake lines replaced as both they and the fuel
> > lines were too fragile
> > with rust to be played with. As this was some crazy
> > old mercedes shop,
> > this would be too expensive a procedure for me right
> > now. So here are my
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. How soon does this need to be done? There are no
> > leaks at present.
> >
> > 2. Obviously the cost here is in the labor, so its
> > clearly time consuming,
> > but is it possible for a totally ignorant person to
> > even think of
> > attempting it?
> >
> > 3. Does anyone know someone who could do this for me
> > at a labor cost of
> > less than 65 an hour within a 4 hour radius of
> > Chicago?
> >
> > Thanks a lot
> > Blake
> >

> > --
> > Email LIST problems to:
> > scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org. To unsubscibe send

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca