Re: Importing a car for "Show or Display"

> There was a pretty thorough article in Autoweek this week about doing
> just that.  Apparently the "Show or Display" importation deals with the
> DOT regulations on bringing in a car.

interesting, I will have to pick up a copy.

>                 Apparently they have a couple of criteria, such as, the
> manufacturer can not have sold another version of the car here, ie. no
> importing a euro 1987 Scirocco since VW sold a Scirocco here.  The Lupo
> passes on that case.

Right, but the Scirocco has already been passed for importation with
bumper/headlight changes...no need to bring it in under the Show and
Display.

>              There also has to be a case made that the car is unique
> enough to warrant special dispensation.  Not sure how many thousand
> Lupo's they are selling in Europe, but it might be tough to prove that it
> is unique!!!

Yeah, you have to prove technological or historical significance.  I think
the only shot would be to try and bring in a Lupo GTI.  In this way you
could try and say it is a re-incarnation of the Rabbit GTI, the original
"hot hatch" that sparked so many copies....

If you want the link to the actual laws and regulations let me know Ken.

>           The problem that is not addressed by the "Show or Display" is
> the EPA.  They still want the cars to meet the emmission standards for
> the time of manufacture.  Thus, a new car would have to be OBDII
> compliant.  If it doesn't have OBDII, don't even bother trying.

VW has been using OBDII on their cars since 96 or 97 here, don't know
about Germany.  I wouldn't think the Lupo GTI would have any problems with
emissions what so ever....it is the DOT rules that hold it back (crash
worthieness, bumpers, lights).

Eric

80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
97 Golf Trek (Parts car)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox