Re: Shift linkage scraping / Poly A-arm bushings

> Hey all,
>
> I noticed a few days ago that when I was sitting in my '87 16v while
> parked with the engine off, shifting between 1st and 2nd caused a
> scraping noise that came from directly under the shifter. Shifting is
> pretty good, albeit a little sloppy (~8 month old bushings), probably due
> to play in the triangle shaped bushing that the shift rod goes through. It
> sounds like an arm on the shifter mechanism is scraping against the body
> somewhere. Anyone have any ideas about what to check on first or what this
> might be? I'll take a look under there next time I have a helper to engage
> the gears for me.

Toby, first I'd say that bushings that are 8 months old should still be
giving that brand-new, perfect shifting feeling.  If I am understanding your
dilemma correctly, it sounds as if the engine or tranny has sagged, and that
might cause the shifter linkage contact.  What condition are your mounts in?

-PK