Shift linkage scraping / Poly A-arm bushings

Hey all,

I noticed a few days ago that when I was sitting in my '87 16v while
parked with the engine off, shifting between 1st and 2nd caused a
scraping noise that came from directly under the shifter. Shifting is
pretty good, albeit a little sloppy (~8 month old bushings), probably due
to play in the triangle shaped bushing that the shift rod goes through. It
sounds like an arm on the shifter mechanism is scraping against the body
somewhere. Anyone have any ideas about what to check on first or what this
might be? I'll take a look under there next time I have a helper to engage
the gears for me.

Also, I scored a set of bugpack poly a-arm bushings for Christmas. My
rubber ones are garbage - I can squish them in with my fingertips. Anyway
- what are the tricks to installing these things? Take them to a shop with
a press? Lube them up and hammer them in? Should I torch out the old ones?

Thanks,

-Toby

--
'87 16v