Re: Alternator, Problem, -, still, no, fix., What, next?

It is possible that the led in the cluster is blown.  If the wiring is
broken to the dash, the light usually stays on until the alternator
self-excites, which usually happens around 2K rpm.  The exciter circuit
from the alternator loom joins to the car's main wiring at a single
connector at the battery - it's a small blue wire.  The connector tends to
get corroded over time, breaking the connection.

The light should light up with the key in the on position, engine not
running - if not, then the light or the alt or regulator are faulty.
Since you have replaced the regulator, then I'd look at the light or the
alt.

It is possible you have a bad connection on your main alt + wire - can you
check voltage at the back of the alt instead of the battery while the car
is running?  If it's OK, then the connector/wires are at fault.

To test the exciter circuit, you can ground the blue wire with the engine
off, key on.  The bulb should light - if not the wire or bulb are faulty.
If it does light, then the the regulator connection to the alternator
could be corroded (I talked about this one in an earlier message) the
regulator is faulty, or the alternator is faulty.

HTH,  Drew

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Ewan Hopkins wrote:

> As the subject says, I have not been able to fix my charging problem. I
> Replaced the regulator with a new one but am still getting minimal charging.
> I noticed that, if I disconnect the alternator warning lead from the
> alternator, the led in the instrument cluster does not come on and there is
> no difference in the voltage level at the battery. If the the led and/or
> diode in the cluster were blown would this stop the alternator charging. Is
> there a simple way of testing the alternator without dismantling it - can I
> meter the warning circuit ?
>
> TIA,
>
> Ewan Hopkins

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca