Re: [8v] Exhaust upgrade dilemma

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:29:10 -0600 "Michael Carlson" <m-carlson@home.com>
writes:
> My apologies for contributing to "recurring thread syndrome", but I
> hope my questions are different enough to pass.  The impending deadline
on
> the TT group purchase got me thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my

> 'roc a little sooner than I originally planned.
>
> The Scirocco in question is an '84 Wolfsburg Edition, built 7/84 (a
> "late" '84) with stock JH engine etc.
Small spare with the larger tank and transfer pump, right?

> I *will* put a turbo in her, but
> that may not happen for another year yet, since I have some big-ticket
items
> I'd like to do to my GTI VR6 first.  The 'rocco is my project car, but
will
> see some daily driver duties this summer whenever the GTI is in the
> shop--after I get the 'roc more road-worthy.
>
> Question 1:
> Conventional wisdom says a 2" exhaust will be fine on any NA 8V, but
> a 2.25" exhaust is preferred for forced induction applications.  My
options
> include:

>  a) Get an aluminized 2" exhaust now, and replace it with a
> stainless steel 2.25" exhaust when I put the turbo on.
Considering that it will only be $124 plus shipping and you could
probably sell it in a year for around a $100.
I'd probably go that route...
Btw, when I pull my TT exhausts, I cut the muffler at the body, saving
the pipes,
and then I exchange the lifetime muffler for a new one.

>  b) Get the 2.25" stainless steel exhaust now and put up with the
> side-effects of the lost back pressure.
> Which should I do?  Would the effects of back pressure loss be bad
> enough to be considered A Bad Thing (TM), or would it be bearable in
the
> meantime?
It will be bearable... But you'll notice it when taking off at a light or
a stop sign.
The stainless 2 1/4" Ultraflo exhaust is $316 plus shipping under the
group buy.

> Question 2:
> A turbo installation means I'll have to put on a different exhaust
> manifold.
> Should I go ahead and put in a 4-into-2 manifold now, or is the swap
> too much of a PITA to bother with twice?
This I would definitely do now.
It makes a a noticible difference, especially with a long TT downpipe.
It's only a $100 for the TT downpipe...

Getting the exhaust manifold off for the first time can be a real pain.
As long as you use anti-seize, it will be a piece of cake the second time
around.

This way you will have an easier time with the turbo install.

There is an '81 Rabbit dual exhaust manifold on VWVortex "classifieds"
for $30, but it has 2 broken studs.
You can install 2 helicoils or have a machine shop do it.

HTH,
Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit", Long TT downpipe, 2" aluminized, w/Ultraflo
'84 Scirocco, RD/FF
'80, '88 Scirocco rollers