[8v] Exhaust upgrade dilemma

My apologies for contributing to "recurring thread syndrome", but I hope my
questions are different enough to pass.  The impending deadline on the TT
group purchase got me thinking about upgrading the exhaust on my 'roc a
little sooner than I originally planned.

The Scirocco in question is an '84 Wolfsburg Edition, built 7/84 (a "late"
'84) with stock JH engine etc.  I *will* put a turbo in her, but that may
not happen for another year yet, since I have some big-ticket items I'd like
to do to my GTI VR6 first.  The 'rocco is my project car, but will see some
daily driver duties this summer whenever the GTI is in the shop--after I get
the 'roc more road-worthy.

Question 1:
Conventional wisdom says a 2" exhaust will be fine on any NA 8V, but a 2.25"
exhaust is preferred for forced induction applications.  My options include:
 a) Get an aluminized 2" exhaust now, and replace it with a stainless steel
2.25" exhaust when I put the turbo on.
 b) Get the 2.25" stainless steel exhaust now and put up with the
side-effects of the lost back pressure.
Which should I do?  Would the effects of back pressure loss be bad enough to
be considered A Bad Thing (TM), or would it be bearable in the meantime?

Question 2:
A turbo installation means I'll have to put on a different exhaust manifold.
Should I go ahead and put in a 4-into-2 manifold now, or is the swap too
much of a PITA to bother with twice?

I'm open to all suggestions, and appreciate any advice the list has to
offer.

TIA!
Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition - "Sonja"
'95 GTI VR6 - "Wolfgang"
http://members.home.net/mikes.vws/