Re: Tech:audio:Where's my accessory power input?

There is a circuit which enables the seatbelt warning system (remember
that buzzer/bell that you pulled years ago? :) ) that you can use to
either a) energize a relay to power your stereo, or b) switch the
"switched" power lead (usually a low amp draw) that is found on newer car
stereos.

The lead goes +12V when the key is inserted in the ignition, but not on.
(which, BTW, is how VW factory stereos have worked since at least the late
A2 era.)  I tap this lead for every stereo install I do (I switch cars a
lot.) and it's never let me down.  If you didn't want the functionality of
the seatbelt warning system (lamp plus buzzer) anymore you could probably
just cut the wire and run it straight to your power-on lead on your
stereo.

Now the magic question is, which lead is it?  Unfortunately I don't have
my Bentley handy, but I believe that it is a black wire with a red stripe
(don't quote me on this...)  It is a light guage wire, and is the
smallest wire coming out of the ignition switch.  You can access it fairly
easily by pulling the lower steering column cover off (or the drivers
under dash cover.)  This info may be (should be ) in the FAQ.

Caveat: this circuit is designed for low current (hence the small wire.)
Only use it to either energize a relay that switches higher current
applications, or to power the low current power-on lead of a car stero.
Excessive current draw will result in a melted ignition switch.

Drew (84 'Roc and lotsa other VWs)

There isnt one.  You either have to wire it hot too, or tap into another
line, such as the hazard switch.  I just wired mine hot, I have a
removeable
face, so it reminds me to take the face off when I leave the car :-)

Greg

on 1/1/01 16:52, David Guido at guido_david@hotmail.com wrote:

> I'm installing a CD into my MK1 and can't find the "switchable" acc
power
> input wire. It may have been removed, so I wonder where on the back of
the
> fusebox can I tap-in?
>
> TIA! And have a great New Year!
>
> David G
> 1981 "S"
> 1980 (16v to be)
> 1988 Volvo Wgn. GL
> 1994 Isuzu Trooper

- --
'84 Scirocco
scirocco@macslut.org

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca