OT: vintage Porsche enthusiasts

I just got back from a field trip to a business in McMinnville, Oregon called Porsche Parts Obsolete.  The reason for this trip was because my friend was sourcing a pair of doors for his business partner's 356A, located in Japan.

Upon arriving, the first sight which greeted us was a mid 60's Westfalia camper bus...with the 17" C2 Porsche wheels (still running the 255/40/17 in the back)!  Then we drove past a carport with numerous 356 racers,a 914/6, a 911 rally car, and a 911 road car.

We drove to the first of several barns to inquire about Gary's location.  Once at the second barn, we were able to view the beautiful 356C ( http://www.partsobsolete.com/cab.htm ).  Words cannot describe how perfect this car was.  View the link and read about it.  Gary took us over to the first barn, which was obviously where the bodywork is done.  there we saw about 8 stripped down 356's, 2 Speedster's, and a double cab transporter.  My favorite car by far was the Transporter (a VW Bus except the back portion is like a truck bed).  It was finished in a subtle factory pea green and was being prepped for a 3L carrera engine so it could easily perform its tow vehicle duties.  It's suspension was a mix of old and new using some trick aluminum goodies from the 944 and 930 cars.  It is slated to use the same wheels as seen on Gary's car from the link.  They are a 16" full size spare taken from the RS America 911.  Just think... a total of 9 RS America's were wrecked in order to sup!
!
ply the wheels for these two vehicles!  One particualarly noticeable observation from the trip was that the majority of the workers were under 30.

The second barn I mentioned was a showroom/parts house.  It was stocked well enough to make a car dealership look like your closet.  He had window glass, taillight lens, carpet, doors, hoods, and just about everything else you would need to bring back a 356 from the grave.

Just thought I would share a truly moving car experience to the rest of you.  If you are ever in Oregon, drop by McMinnville.  You'll be twenty minutes away from techtonics and about fifteen minutes away from the new museum built to house Howard Hughes' old ride: the "Spruce Goose".

See you at ND,
David Barwick
88 Scirocco
84 Jetta GLI