Re: Rear Disc Brakes

>The 16V was the only A1 system I know with disc brakes.

Correct.

>I have seen them on Golf, Jetta and Passat.  I know the bolt patter
>is the same. Is there any difference in the calipers, or are they
>basically all the same system?

The calipers are basically alike, except for the way the parking brake
attaches.  It _appears_ that the Passat rear calipers might work on
a Scirocco by swapping sides and flipping them over.  The Passat ebrake
cables come around from the bottom up, while the Scirocco ones pull from
the top.  Just do the flip and twist in your head and you'll see what I
mean. :)

>I know of a wrecked Passat with rear discs (has anti lock though)
>and I thought of pulling the spindles, etc for my '79 Scirocco.

Spindles might not work due to different axle bolt patterns, as I just
don't have that depth of knowledge on the Passat.  Knowing VW though, it's
probably the same, because why change it?  It's not like this is GM,
where they change things just to do it.

>Also, I have heard conflicting reports on changing the pressure
>regulators.  Some say it is not needed, some say it is, and some say
>you need a newer master cylinder to work correctly with the newer
>pressure reg.

If it where me, I'd swap in the 22mm MS and pressure regulators.  Why
mess around with your brakes?

>Cory

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net