RE: Part needed- and tech question

If you can, get a large strap wrench.  Craftsman now sells a pair of them,
but the larger one is still pretty small.  (The commercials are pretty
stupid - "Look, you can open a jar of pickles with this!")  We have one here
at work with about an 18-24" handle, and this worked beautifully when I did
the timing belt on my '84.

The socket head cap screws can often be removed using two hex keys - put one
in one screw to keep the pulley from turning, and use the other to loosen
another screw.  I don't particularly like this method, but if you need to
use it, it works.  If you can get a strap wrench, that's the best method.

You can sometimes use an old belt as a strap wrench too - wrap it around the
pulley, hold it with vise grips, and crank on the bolts.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle
'87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0