Re: Need your votes(my cheap 16v)

Well Shawn since you ask how I will tell you the way I did mine for almost
nothing.

First it helps to have a salvage yard that knows very little about VWs. While
doing the rounds at yards in a 50 mile radius I came across a buned out
Passat. Bought the motor for $150 claiming I only needed it for a core since
it all the wiring and non metal parts on it were crispy.  Next up I found a
16v scirocco at a different yard and the guy said $350 delivered and its
mine. This car was hit in the right front and the frame rail and shock tower
took the brunt of the hit so the motor was perfect . After I cut the motor
out and sold off many of the parts like leather interior , body kit,steering
rack , motor, rear beam w/discs, I ended up about even selling off about $500
worth of parts. About the only thing I am behind on is the exhaust which I
had to buy new but if I sell the door panels and power windows I will get
close to a free swap. And if I sell the AGB trans I will be ahead.
Of course my labor I counted as free .

If you have the patience and space a complete donor car or two in my opinion
is the best way to go. Just sell off what you dont use . And if you cant do
the swap yourself many shops install used parts so you could barter with
parts too.

Yes I took a gamble on the burnt motor but for me it worked to the tune of
126 hp to the wheels with exhaust only. YMMV

Jasin
13 sec MK1