Re: VWoA anal much?? VW is right...

  Sorry to disappoint you Ron, no flames here, just wanting to understnd what
they are doing, why and offering the opposing view...

>> -VW has a trademark...they deserve the right to keep
>>  and protect it.
>> -If they don't protect it, they could lose it.  This
>> is  a very distinct possibility.  Therefore they are
>> OBLIGATED to protect it.
>> -Part of that protection is to ensure that only VW (or
>> it's affiliates, under license) use the trademark, and
>> use it consistently, and that those who infringe on
>> the trademark are promptly stopped.
       True, true, and true. However, in what context is the term "infringed"
being used? If they are going after sites that are using the logo and terms
like "VW", "VOLKSWAGEN", etc., basically sites that are like those owned by
listers here, there is no profit being made by the owners, therefore no
infringement. It seems to me that VWoA would almost want to turn a blind eye
to them and be thankful for the free adverts. If they feel they are being
infringed through "implied affiliation", why not just send a letter
requesting that the website has no affiliation of any sort?

>> NO company would allow or promote the use of their
>> trademark by anyone with whom they have no affiliation
>> or control!  That is absurd!  What the hell is a
>> trademark for?  To identify a _particular company_!  A
>> company's trademark is it's identity!  A company MUST
>> have this control, and they must exercise it.
    Check with any car club, magazine or restoration parts distributor that
is centered around anything from the Big Three. Ask if they've been requested
to remove any or all of the  company's logos or trademark names/emblems from
thier literature, apperal(sp), or webpages.
  IMO, VWoA is doing all they can to cause themselves more harm than good
with this campaign. Like what almost destroyed the Big Three in the past,
they have become like spoiled children, more concerned with what is thiers
and too bad if you wanna play. The Big Three went to hell in the 70's & 80's
when they produced crap cars and provided crap customer service, nevermind
the energy crisis.
  VW has one of the most devoted and possibly the largest customer base of
any auto manufacturer. Imagine if every one of us informed VWoA that we will
not buy a new car fom them (and didn't). Also that we would inform others to
stay away from thier newer line of cars, simply because of thier newfound
"need" to "protect" thier logo, as well as the unprofessional customer
service.

  Just another $.02 for the jar.

Carl (ohh look! it's the Eastern Front all over!)
77rocco
89fox