Re: camber settings

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:37:19 +0800 "doug czajka" <scirocco16v@europe.com>
writes:
>i know this has probably been asked before, but I did search the
>archives and it didn't really help me much.  The car is an 88 16v and
>i'm getting new tires soon and need to get an alignment as well.  This
>car is my daily driver, and will also be auto-xed in April.  So my
>question is, what is the ideal camber value for a daily driven and
>auto-xed car.  TIA

Its a trade off.
The more -camber you have, the better the car will handle.

Stock is zero camber. Funny because if you look at most stock daily
drivers, the outter edge of the tire wears more rapidly than the center
or inside of the tire.

A good trade off is -1.5 neg camber. You might see a little more inside
tire wear than -normal- but you rotate them to the rear and its fine.
Gives the rear something else to wear out. I run -3.0 camber on my daily
driven 82 Scirocco (Mildly prepped for FSP) and the difference in
handling between -1.5 and -3.0 is quite dramatic. I do tend to wear the
inside of my tires pretty good. Having 1/8th toe out doesnt help much
either but its worth it to me for the performance I gain at the expense
of rapid tire wear. You decide whats best for you.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V     84' Scirocco 8V    88' Corvette -SS 30- 2001 SDR
Solo2 Champion
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!