Help me fix my stereo.

I'm having problems getting a stereo to work in my 1982 Scirocco. I need
someone to tell me exactly which wires they used when they installed a new
stereo in their Scirocco. Did anyone have to run new wires, and if you did
where did you run them from? By the way Hello to everyone I just joined the
list. I just bought a 1982 Scirocco with 84,000 miles with an Auto tranny,
immaculate blue interior, very clean silver exterior for $1200. The only
problem with it is that the stock stereo stations would reset everytime you
turn of the car. I thought it would be easy to fix, I've done about six
stereo installs in the past and never had problems like I'm having now.
Anyway I would appreciate any help.
Ash