Re: So do I need a different speedo gear when I drop in my 4ktranny?

>I heard something about needing to swap out the gear
>on my 16v speedo cable to work properly with the 4k
>tranny.
>
>What's this all about?  Why can't I just drop the same
>old gear in there?  Did VW actually use a different
>amount of teeth on the older A1 trannys?
>
>If so, where do I get one of these gears and what's
>the part #?
>
>Oh, anyone in the Boston/Cape Cod area have a garage I
>could bogart for a little while?  :-)
>
>TIA!
>
>-josh
>
>=====
>Josh Wyte

The transmissions with the 3.67 final drive unit uses a red colored gear for
the speedo cable.  It's on the end of the speedo drive line that goes into
the transmission.  The transmissions with the 3.89 or 3.94 final drive use
a white gear.  The gear difference accounts for the different transmission
output rotation / tire rotation, and allows the speedo input rotation to be
relatively the same between transmissions with differing final drives.

Get the white gear for the 4K, available from Mike Potter, it's where I
bought mine last year.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net