Report: VW Pickup FS in Central NJ

Hi All,

This morning I drove up to South River NJ (<10 minutes from Scott's house)
to look at the '82 VW Pickup that is currently on eBay. See:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599372830
>. It's a very nice truck overall, but has one major flaw: a great big rust
hole in the front right strut tower. There is no rust to be found anywhere
else on the vehicle other then in this one spot! This hole is well beyond my
repair abilities, so I will not be buying it.

The owner thinks that the transmission is suffering from self matching
syndrome, but I don't think so. I would say that the whining noise is from a
problem the clutch or pressure plate. I could be wrong, you decide.

If you are looking for an overall good to great shape VW Pickup in the
~$1000 range and are able to fix this hole, this is the truck for you! It
has a JH engine in it that runs pretty well, good high riding suspension, a
nice aftermarket flip up sunroof, and paint is in terrific shape. The
matching cap which is not included in the auction, but the owner is willing
to part with for the right $$$.

-Marc

'87 VW Smoking Scirocco Tornado Red 16V 213,000+ miles in Philly PA
    since 7/2/99 - Before and after pics: http://getty.net/scirocco/
'81 VW Mk1 Scirocco - "gorgeous green" Future project car after I
    move to a place with a garage, secondary driver for now