Re: 2.0L 8v Questions

I've read in a number of places that mechanical noise can effect knock
sensors. Apparently, the interference typically happens at higher RPM
when the mechanical noise approaches the frequency where the KS
operates.
On the other hand I've run a KS ignition with a solid lifter head. (as
does Andrew Stauffer who recently pulled 123 HP at the wheels on a
Mustang dyno with his 2.0 L 8V) I've also swapped back to the stock
ignition on occasion and can say with authority that the KS ignition
gave more power while it also clearly eliminated knock just like it's
supposed to.
Clearly, incorrect valve adjustment or worn valve guides or tappet bores
will make enough noise to make the KS retard the timing. Also,
significant vacuum leaks that cause the engine to run lean (and
therefore want to ping all the time) will retard the timing.
One way to reduce KS sensitivity is to put aluminum washers on both
sides of the sensor then retorque.
Obviously, correct torque on the sensor bolt is critical. If I remember
correctly, it is 7-9 ft-lb.
Dan