Re: 2.0L 8v Questions

Steve:
I'm very interested in your statement about a knock
sensing ignition system working on a solid lifter
engine. I installed a complete 86 gti ignition on my
2L 8v engine, observing the correct knock sensor
torque as per bentley manual. long story short, i was
plagued with detonation. I completely trouble shot the
whole system, as per the bentley manual. No faults
found. I then removed the complete system from a car
known to be good and tried that. Same deal. I then
installed a non knock sensing system, and it ran fine.
I can only conclude from my own experience that a
knock sensing system doesn't work well with
mechanical lifter. If you could direct me to any
information regarding modifications that might allow a
solid lifer/knock sensing setup to work, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  Thanks!
Dr. Dubsalot

Merry Christmas!

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Doctor Dubsalot wrote:

> head is Hydraulic. Using the hydraulic head will
allow
> one to utilize a knock sensing ignition system from
> say, an 85 golf gti. With this setup, you can run
your

I have heard, from a number of sources, that one can
use knock sensing
ignition with a mechanical head. the knock sensors
bolt low on the
block
and filter out everything except teh frequency they
monitor, which is
very
different from the frequency of valvetrain noise.

No personal experience in this area, but the
explanations i have heard
make sense to me. so, i'd put knock sensing in a car
with mechanical
lifters, for sure.

take care,

Steve