Re: [tech help required] steering shaking

Allyn could be closer on this than me be but I have recently had similar
problems where we found broken steering rack 'U' brackets.  If that isn't
it, maybe the bushings have gone bad.  Check it out before you buy $250 in
parts you don't need.  HTH!!

Dave

> Pat,
>     Ironically, i dont think it can be any of the possibilities you
listed:
> - A-arm bushings: that would cause your car to wander/clunk over bumps,
not
> cause a shutter.
> - rack and pinion: same thing, your shutter can only come from something
in
> motion, i.e. wheels.
>     Sounds like you are down to the following:
> - Bent hub: The most likely problem, due to the problem existing with
> several sets of hubcentric wheels/correct offsets being on the car. The
> reason it changes speeds with different wheel sets is the same reason that
> different wheel sizes with bad balance vibrate at different speeds. Larger
> diameter/heavier wheels cause a shutter at lower speeds. About 70-80 with
> stock 14's, down to 60 with 15/16's. With a bent hub, the wheel doesnt
spin
> true. A very slight bend can cause the equivalent of 3-5 oz unbalance.
This
> unbalance would act as if it was on the outer lip of the wheel, causing
your
> steering wheel shutter.
> - Bad bearing: can do the equivalent of a bent hub. Less likely if you
have
> no bearing noise.
> - Bad outer cv: a more remote possibility, especially if it doesnt do it
at
> low speeds. Your mileage is quite high for original cv's, though.
> - Loose rotor retaining bolt: the phillips head thing between 2 lug holes
on
> the rotor. it needs to be flush with the rotor. if its not, it can cause
> your problem. This is unlikely since the stock vw wheels have holes that
> clear where the bolt would be in the way, but you had the problem with the
> 14's on the car.
>
> Recommendation:
> - Bite the bullet. Get cv's, bearings, hubs from potterman (not too
> expensive, really, each shaft ~$90, each bearing $18, each hub ~$20 (yes,
> they are that cheap)). $250 and you've pretty much made your front end new
> as far as rotating parts goes.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Allyn
>
> Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
> 87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
> 87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
> driveshafts, wheels :)

Cups