Re: [tech help required] steering shaking

Pat,
    Ironically, i dont think it can be any of the possibilities you listed:
- A-arm bushings: that would cause your car to wander/clunk over bumps, not
cause a shutter.
- rack and pinion: same thing, your shutter can only come from something in
motion, i.e. wheels.
    Sounds like you are down to the following:
- Bent hub: The most likely problem, due to the problem existing with
several sets of hubcentric wheels/correct offsets being on the car. The
reason it changes speeds with different wheel sets is the same reason that
different wheel sizes with bad balance vibrate at different speeds. Larger
diameter/heavier wheels cause a shutter at lower speeds. About 70-80 with
stock 14's, down to 60 with 15/16's. With a bent hub, the wheel doesnt spin
true. A very slight bend can cause the equivalent of 3-5 oz unbalance. This
unbalance would act as if it was on the outer lip of the wheel, causing your
steering wheel shutter.
- Bad bearing: can do the equivalent of a bent hub. Less likely if you have
no bearing noise.
- Bad outer cv: a more remote possibility, especially if it doesnt do it at
low speeds. Your mileage is quite high for original cv's, though.
- Loose rotor retaining bolt: the phillips head thing between 2 lug holes on
the rotor. it needs to be flush with the rotor. if its not, it can cause
your problem. This is unlikely since the stock vw wheels have holes that
clear where the bolt would be in the way, but you had the problem with the
14's on the car.

Recommendation:
- Bite the bullet. Get cv's, bearings, hubs from potterman (not too
expensive, really, each shaft ~$90, each bearing $18, each hub ~$20 (yes,
they are that cheap)). $250 and you've pretty much made your front end new
as far as rotating parts goes.

Hope this helps,
Allyn

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger GTO Scirocco 16v (daily driver, 170k, rocco #6)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (daily driver, 260k, 0 rattles, original clutch,
driveshafts, wheels :)