Re: How do you take the doors off a Mk2?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:09:15 -0800 (PST) josh Wyte <josh_wyte@yahoo.com>
writes:
> Ok, this isn't as stupid a question as it may seem...
> :-)
>
> I have the door panels off and I see the 2 main bolts
> that hold the door in place.  However, how do you take
> off the door strap?  It looks like the factory used a
> rivet to hold it in place...  Cut it off?  Beat it
> off?  What?

Cutting works, but cut the clip not the pin.

There is a clip on the bottom, I usually bend the clip out, and twist
and/or cut it off with diagonal cutters.

Lift or drive the pin out and unbolt the door.

> Also where are the plugs for the electric mirror and
> door speaker wiring harnesses?  I fully expected them
> to be in the door itself, but it's not.  I really
> don't want to cut the wiring then butt splice it back
> together...

You can acces the plugs in front of the door, in the car itself.

> On another note, I (well, Mick the co-owner of the
> parts car finally got that shock bolt off.  After I
> soaked it repeatedly with PB Blaster, heated it up
> with a propane torch and beat on it with a hammer I
> gave up.  I went to a doctors appt, came back and Mick
> had it off!  He beat on it some more with the hammer
> and it finally gave in.  Whew!
>
> Tomorrow is suspension and wheels swapage, then next
> weekend is taking off the fenders, doors and hood
> before it goes away for good.
>
> -josh
>
> =====
> Josh Wyte
> Momentum Motorsports
> 508-833-3024 After 5 pm EST

Quoting Jim Jarrett, "Any problem can be solved with the proper
application of Force, Heat, Chemicals, or Money.".

Peter - <http://thescirocco.com> - http://tttuning.com/ , Peloquin LSD,
http://quaifeamerica.com/ , http://www.magnecor.com/ -  Bear, DE 19701

'79 Scirocco 16V 25 049
'83 GTI 37 505
'84.5 Scirocco 42 133
'84 GTI 63 348  - SciRollers: '79 70 900, '84 Black, '88 Red -
http://feedbyte.com