Re: Solid shifter?

Synchros are little brass rings, not steel gears or steel engagement
sleeves! The reduction in rotating mass would NEVER be noticed.
Street transmissions have engagement TEETH that allow very little rotational
slop. i.e. they have ~30 teeth on the gear and the engagement sleeve that
mesh very tightly and allow less than 1 deg of rotational slop.
Racing transmissions have engagement LUGS that allow alot of rotational
slop. i.e 3 or 4 big ass lugs with ~30 deg slop.
Street transmissions need synchros because of the tight fit between
engagement teeth. Racing transmissions don't need syncros because of the
huge gaps between the engagement lugs.
You CAN drive a street transmission without synchros if you're really good,
but it will require you to double clutch every downshift  and have perfect
harmony with your machine on upshifts ;^O
Quite frankly, there is NO benefit to removing the synchros from a street
transmission and the extra substantial abuse on the transmission makes it a
major net negative.
OTOH, when I was a kid (30 years ago) I had a POS Fiat 850. New 850
transmissions wheren't much and this one had been abused to the point the
synchros were MIA. It was a true learning experience getting to the point
were I could shift that transmission with no grinding. Not only did it teach
you how to shift without grinding it taught you how to be SMOOTH!
One final thought as I run off at the mouth; before you contemplate removing
synchros test your abilities to handle this by driving without using the
clutch. NO CLUTCH, upshift all 5 gears, NO CLUTCH, downshift all 5 gears!
FUN isn't it??
BTW, The guy with the Civic is an idiot!!!
Dan