Re: A bunch 'o Questions...

"Langford, Cory" wrote:

> Okay, here is a whole bunch of stuff, anyone got any info please let me
> know:
>
> 1.  Is there any way to differentiate a G60 1.8 from a regular 1.8 short
> block? (yes when the g-ladder, etc have all been stripped off)

Block should have a model/ serial number.

> 2.  Does anyone have, or know of a source ....

Nope. Sorry.

> 3.  Anyone know how a knock sensor works (technically)?

Been answered. Basically it's a microphone. Generates signal based on
picking up sound. Tuned to pinging type vibrations.

> 4.  How much better (in reality) is the infamous Audi 5000 Turbo intake
> manifold over a standard VW one

Dunno.

> Should you port match the head for a Audi
> intake, or are the runners close to the same size?

I would think you would want to port match anyway, even if the
difference was minor.

> 5.  Can the Distributor from a older 1.6/1.7 fit into a 1.8 block, or do you
> need to modify anything?

Depends. What 1.8 block? The G60's?  Hmmmm. IMH Experience I have
interchanged 1.6/1.7/1.8 dists but this is by no means an answer.

> For the turbo Guru's:
>
> A.  How much extra heat does the turbo transfer into the oil?  Should I
> install an oil cooler on the turbo engine to be safe?

Lots and yes. Thermostatic controlled oil lines fed to a cooler mounted
in the air stream with a rock guard on the front face.

> B.   I have seen some turbos with water cooling jackets as well as the oil
> lines.  Are these that much better?

Better for at least two reasons: better cooling for a stabilized
operating temp, reduced 'coked' (cooked to soot) oil in the bearings,
which leads to a shortened turbo life.

> C.  How do you size an intercooler?  Is simply bigger better?

Dunno. Doubt that there isn't a diminished return after awhile. Colder
is better, bigger may not be better though.

> D.  Anyone have any suggestions on good reading material?
> Cory - The VW Addict.

We have some good turbo (or at least enthusiastic) people on the list.
Maybe you guys want to visit the VW Vortex forums and start a thread or two.

hth,
TBerk