Wipers not returning to start

I asked about this earlier but I can't find the replies. I have a '88 16v
and the front wipers  dont return to the starting position when you turn
them off (ie you have to turn them off exactly at the right time otherwise
they just stay in the middle of the windsheild). Also they only work at full
speed not in the timed interval modes . I am asumming that is related to
them not returning to the starting position. Soooo yeah.. Wudo I do?

aireq