Re: Diesel Oil Filter?

I run a diesel oil filter on both my diesel Rabbit (duh) and my
racecar - the only difference between the diesel and gas oil filter
is the physical size.  The diesel filter is about 2x the diameter of
the gas variant which allows for a bit more oil in the crankcase and,
theoretically, it traps more "stuff" before it clogs.

I haven't noticed any ill effects using the larger filter - my only
"incident" was self-induced when a misplaced hose clamp bore a hole
into the filter and dumped the majority of the crankcase during the
course of a race.

> From: "Cheapass Ron" <rapieper@yahoo.com>
> While at the FLAPS, I was scanning the oil filter apps book (just
> a sec...to preserve my dignity, I *do* know the Purolator Pure One
> number by heart, PL20252, I was stepping down to a Premium Plus
this
> once) and saw a different filter for the diesels.
>
> Hmmm...gasket size the same, thread size bound to be the same, >
bigger diameter...more filter area, that's a good thing, right?  Why
> not?
>
> Soooo...do they work on the gas engines?  Don't see why not.
> Interference issues?  Any harm in screwing one on?

=====
Matthew Yip
http://www.geocities.com/mgyip/

'76 Scirocco - '81 Rabbit - The "General Li" - '88 M5 - '99 F350