Re: M6 vs. M8 bolt torque rear main seal..

The threaded portion of an M6 bolt is 6mm or about 1/4" (10mm hex head).
An M8 is 8mm or about 5/16" (13mm hex head on a VW, 12mm on some
Japanese cars ;^P).
The bolt that holds the timing pulley to the crank seems to be a good
way to keep the crank from turning.
Loctite, as suggested by Peter in his response, is recommended and is a
damn good idea since the PP and flywheel weigh a bunch and are rotating
really fast approximately in line with your right testicle!