Re: M6 vs. M8 bolt torque rear main seal..

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:10:55 -0400 (EDT) Brian McGarvey
<brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu> writes:
> Hello...
> Duh I dont kow the diff between an M6 and M8 bolt.
> So I cant torque down the bolts to reassemble the rest.
>
> the bolts i'm talking about are on the rear of the block. and hold
> the large metal plate onto the block and the rear main seal.
> thanks

M6...

M6 is 6mm, and it usually takes a 10mm socket.

> also any suggestions for the shade tree for holding the flywheel
> still during torqueing of the flywheel bolts?
> brian
> 87 16v.. striupped and gone stuff still up for grabs.
> 85 Cabby loaner..
> 82 Cabby no engine
> 81 S new owner MIA.

It helps to hold the wrench across the flywheel, that way it's easier to
keep the flywheel from turning, as you torque down the flywheel bolts.
Btw, I recommend putting loctite on the flywheel bolts.

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -Techtonics, Autotech Quaife USA, &
Peloquin Discount Dealer -  Bear, DE

'79 Scirocco 16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Scirocco "Oddball"
'84 GTI
SciRollers: '79 White Champagne Edition, '84 Black, '88 Red