Stalling and Hello

Hi all, I'm new to the list (and to sciroccos).  I recently bought a silver
1986 8v scirocco with 114K miles on it for my girlfriend, to compliament my
'91 16v GTI.  I've had three 16v's, an Audi 4K and a Porsche 924, but this
is my first 8v VW.

First question:  The car starts fine and rumbles to a nice idle, and it
drives well, but when you put the clutch in, the car dies.  If you lower
the engine speed VERY VERY slowly, sometimes it stays lit.  This happens
most often when the engine is warm...if it's hot, it happens ALL THE TIME.
It also seems to happen most often after restarting the car which has been
sitting for a minute or two.  Sounds like an idle stabilization valve sort
of thing.  Where is this on my car and will carb cleaner make it go away?

Second question (more urgent):  How many volts should I be seeing off the
alternator?  The car is able to run, but isn't charging the battery enough
to let you restart it.  What's the best way to test the voltage?  Will it
matter that I'm testing voltage across the terminals of a battery that is
esentially drained?

Third question:  Anyone in the boston area have a windshield for sale?
What'll it cost to have new glass installed by a glass place?

Thats all for now.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.