Re: dot restrictions on brake hoses?

> The DOT cares about failure of the hose over time.  (it's a big
> government thing - if you don't like it vote libertarian - www.lp.org)
>
> The DOT ones I have seen have an extra plastic sheath covering the
> braid.  To keep road sand and dirt from getting inside the braid and
> cutting into the tube inside.
>
> I'd swing the extra few bucks. (accepting the fact that most of the
> additional cost covers the steps required to meat the regulations and
> not the actual part)

I am going to HIGHLY reccomend this, cause I have personally seen what can
happen when a non-covered braided line breaks.  Was going to purchase a
rather nice 79 scirocco a few weeks ago, owner had braided lines on it for
quite some time, well, couple of days before I was going to buy it one of
the lines burst while the owner was driving it.  He walked away fine,
which was very very lucky.  The car is trashed.  A sad day in Mk1 Scirocco
land.

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic
88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox