Re: dot restrictions on brake hoses?

At 11:00 PM 8/11/2001, Aireq wrote:
>http://www.germanautoparts.com/vwhoses.html
>
>They have to DOT aproove and non DOT approved brake hoses? What's the
>differnce? What do they care how fast you can stop your car? I must be
>missing something
>

>aireq
>

>--

The major issue with stainless brake lines (DOT vs. non-DOT) is how the
fittings are attached to the lines.  The non-DOT lines have fittings that
are threaded on.  DOT doesn't like this because they feel that Joe Consumer
might somehow screw them up and the lines might come apart sometime.  The
DOT approved lines have fittings that are swagged on (crimped).  If you
think about it, though, the non-DOT lines are used in race applications and
there is very little chance that they will fail.

The plastic outer sheathing is something you want on the lines to keep dirt
from acting like an abrasive between the stainless braid and the Teflon
line, but I don't think it has anything to do with the DOT rating.

HTH

John