Re: dot restrictions on brake hoses?

The difference between DOT approved and non-DOT brake lines is in the style
of fittings used at the ends of the line.

The DOT regulation was drafted in 1934 and specifies then-state-of-the-art
crimp fittings. Since then technology has brought us many improvements in
fitting architecture, but no updates from the regulatory agency responsible
for these things.

Most of the non-DOT hoses (Earls, Russell, etc.) use aircraft spec (and
FAA-, but not DOT- approved) fittings.

In reality, these new-style flanges work much better than the DOT-approved
style, but are not within the letter of the regulation covering such things.

If you've ever heard of the issue Mustang Cobra have of brake lines
separating under hard use, this is a perfect illustration of the inherent
weakness of the DOT-mandated technology. Not that a VW is ever likely to be
subjected to the same levels of braking load, our cars are much lighter and
generally much slower, I still think this is an area in which the DOT needs
to get current quickly since the general standard of performance has
continued to increase over the last twenty years of production.

$0.02

Christian Els
87 16V